A byte of life from the Land of Sumos and Sushi

Friday, March 18, 2005

Lost and Found

You may remember back in February's issue I brought you the sad tale of my digital camera being lost to the snow. Well after a season of living entombed off piste, it reappeared in the spring melt and has finally managed to find its way back to me.

It pains me to say that its soul has gone to digital heaven where batteries are ever lasting, memory cards never get full and there are all the beautiful shots a camera could ever hope to capture.

The damage sustained was severe: a pronounced dent in the casing, multiple fractures of the screen and heavy internal injuries. The autopsy report confirmed the cause of death to be a substancial impact to the body inflicted with a sharp instrument, most likely caused by a skier running over it, followed by hypothermia and finally drowning.

However, it was carrying a donor card, and some of the internal organs can be used to save other cameras; its leather case was salvageable and the battery and memory card seem ok so its death was not completely in vain. In fact even after being buried in the snow for the season there were a few photos still on the card that can now unlock the secrets of the past, like a woolly mammoth that gets spat out of a glacier thousands of years after death.

Although the loss hit me hard, at least now I can seek closure to this distressing episode and I can finally move on. With time, I hope to be able to find the same fulfilling relationship with my new camera that I so cherished with my old one. R.I.P.

I will be out of the country for the next couple of weeks, so there will be nothing new on thefunkydrummer for a while, but rest assured, when I return there’ll be some treats in store.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Funky Drummer said...

Hi Tristan - I've been keeping up with your scottish adventures, and Brandon told us an amusing tale involving your dad, a car, and a crash helmet last night. Keep enjoying haggis land.

Friday, March 18, 2005 10:15:00 pm

 
Blogger Unknown said...

How did the camera find its way home to you?

Friday, March 18, 2005 11:07:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home