A byte of life from the Land of Sumos and Sushi

Sunday, July 23, 2006

This is it. In a few minutes I’m going to walk out of my apartment for the final time, get in my car and drive out of Ono, in the knowledge that I may never return.

The last week has been a series of sayonaras. People say that saying goodbye is difficult. I don’t think that's the right word. It’s awkward, sorrowful and painful.

So how do I sum up my two years in Ono, Fukui, Japan? Well, I’ll start by saying it’s been the best two years of my life so far, and I have got a tremendous amount of pleasure and satisfaction from living here, meeting the locals, learning a little lingo, and enjoying a life where everyday is an adventure into the unknown. Life as an English teacher in Ono is sweet.

By bike, snowboard, cross-country ski, kayak, snowshoe, car and foot, I have explored deep into the natural wonders of Fukui, perhaps delving deeper than many of the locals. Sometimes it takes an outsider’s eye to appreciate what locals take for granted

I’ll sign off by saying thanks to everybody who has been reading for the last two years, especially to those who’ve left words of encouragement. This blog was started simply to document my time in Japan for my own enjoyment, but I hope it has been of some entertainment value to you, and maybe amused you or even inspired you to come to Japan, or to go and explore more of the planet.

So what will become of thefunkydrummer you ask? Well, this blog will remain in cyberspace as a record of my time in Nippon and I may occasionally update it with news from home, but really, it’s the end of the line. Thefunkydrummer was all about Japan, and Japan is over now.

When I return to the motherland, I’m hoping to pursue writing in some form or another, and I already have several articles that will be published this year in various magazines, from a gourmet food mag to a cross ountry skiing mag, and of course, I have big plans for www.SnowSphere.com – but more about that soon.

So, thanks Ono, thanks Fukui and thanks Japan for giving me an incredible two years, which have changed my life, given me new direction and allowed me to meet so many beautiful people.

I’ll be back.

The funky drummer has left the blogspot.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One adventure is ending, Sam, but I'm sure there are many more adventures waiting around the corner for you. If any of your future adventures finds you back in the Vancouver area, remember to look me up. Goes for Sam-girl, too! Take care,
Shan

Monday, July 24, 2006 5:23:00 am

 
Blogger the englishman said...

enjoyed the posts, thanks a lot. good luck.

Monday, July 24, 2006 2:02:00 pm

 
Blogger mohumble said...

come home, oh funky drummer...we await your return. It is a sad day- your blog has brought much joy to the masses.

Friday, July 28, 2006 2:23:00 am

 
Blogger Lewis said...

The end of an era. Thanks for everything - looking forward to seeing thefunkydrummer in its next incarnation.

See you in Blighty!

Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had fun reading your blog!! especially the tales with the school dog1 good luck with whatever you choose to do next!

Thursday, August 03, 2006 11:10:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:28:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent the better part of the last week reading through all your posts. I applied to JET this year and am hoping I get in! I was worried before about being placed in the countryside and how I would adapt, but your blog has helped me to see that no matter where you're placed the experience is what you make of it.

Thanks ever so much for sharing your adventures. I hope that a few months from now I'll be having many of my own.

Best of luck with your magazine!

Jenn

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 4:17:00 pm

 
Blogger Cameron said...

Sam - Thanks for finding me on my site(s) on blogspot. I have two others that I don't know if you saw. But yes, my three years in Ono from 1991-1994 were amazing and then the next 17 years over in Kamishii-mura (Katsuyama - Kamishii - Eiheiji - Matsuoka - Fukui) were like living in Shangri-la. My blogs, and 415 videos on youtube and more describe it all...

I love it over there. Unfortunately, thanks to the Brothers Lehman, my business dried up and I had to leave so now I live in sterile Tokyo as of this past September 1st.

Thanks for finding me and I hope you can continue documenting your life wherever you go, and whatever you do!

Cam Salutes Sam

Sunday, January 03, 2010 10:47:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Showbox for iphone download

Monday, September 17, 2018 3:17:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home